Presentation of the artworkHal Ingberg’s colourful mural Buz is installed on an interior wall facing the main entrance to the Centre communautaire de l’est, designed by architect Éric Gagné of Faucher Aubertin Brodeur Gauthier (FABG). The artwork is visible from outside the building thanks to the glass walls. Bands of colour are deployed on the wall and attract the gaze, inviting people to go inside.
Designed as a triptych, the painted work takes the form of alternating coloured bands about an inch wide. The contrapuntal hues accentuate the visitor’s destabilizing optical experience. The selection of colours draws on the visual identities of the City of Montreal and the Pierrefonds-Roxboro Borough: the red refers to the City of Montreal; the green, to ecological concerns, as evidenced by the centre’s green roof; and the blue is borrowed from the logo of the Pierrefonds-Roxboro Borough.
The lines painted in the “stripe painting” technique developed in the 1960s by abstract painters, including Guido Molinari and Bridget Riley, are by painter Nicolas Grenier.
Associated eventsThe artwork falls within the L’art public dans les arrondissements de Montréal initiative, dating from 2007, and is related to construction of the Centre communautaire de l’est, finalized in 2008.
Hal Ingberg holds a BA in architecture from McGill University (1985) and a master’s degree from the Southern California Institute of Architecture (1987). After conducting further formal research in world capitals, he continued his practice in Montréal, earning international recognition for his integration of artworks into architecture. His work has been honoured by prestigious international institutions, including the Prix de Rome; grants from the Canada Council for the Arts; and the Musée des beaux-arts du Québec. Ingberg has taught architectural design at the École d’architecture since 1999.
Awards and honours
- Bourse type A , Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec , 2007
- Mention d'excellence OAQ pour la rénovation de la cuisine Désourdy , 2005
- Bourse type A , Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec , 2003
- Mention honorable au concours international ouvert pour le Complexe culturel et administratif, Montréal , 2003
- Première Mention au concours de la bibliothèque de Châteauguay, 2001
- Bourse type A , Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec , 2001
- Prix de Rome, Conseil des arts du Canada , 1993-94
- Bourse de séjour d'architecture à Barcelone, Conseil des arts du Canada", 1991