The City of Montreal, in partnership with the Ministère de la Culture et des Communications, is launching a call for projects aimed at Indigenous artists in order to increase the visibility of their artistic practice and to encourage the necessary dialogue between cultures.
In relation with the Strategy for Reconciliation, the Bureau d’art public of the Service de la culture de la Ville de Montréal is calling for proposals for ephemeral public art created by Quebec Indigenous emerging artists or collectives base or are artistically active in Montréal. This call aims to highlight the work of emerging Indigenous artists by enabling them to present their works in the public space, in a spirit of valorization of cultural practices in Montréal.
- To encourage Montréalers to discover artworks
- To foster the pride, identity, and creativity of Indigenous communities
- To support emerging Indigenous artists in the production of works of public art
- To highlight Indigenous art projects and cultural practices in Montréal
CONTEXT OF MENTORSHIP IN PUBLIC ART PROJECT
This call for projects is aimed at supporting Indigenous artists with producing a first project involving integration of a work of public art, in collaboration with an Indigenous mentor. The finalists and winners of the call for projects will receive professional guidance.
PROGRAM OF WORKS SOUGHT
Indigenous artists may propose works in various scales, with varying impacts, and on different supports. Performance and event-related works are accepted. New creations are desirable.
Funding for production of the work is set at a maximum of $10,000 per project (before taxes).
- The call for projects is addressed to Indigenous emerging artists or collectives. Experience in the creation of works is desirable though not obligatory. To be eligible, the artists must:
- Be a Quebec Indigenous base or artistically active in Montreal;
- Having taken specialized training in their art field (not necessarily in educational institutions)
- Be recognized as professionals by their peers (artists working in the same art tradition)
- Be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
Deadline August 26, 2022, at noon
+ Download the Call for projects