Fine Arts
Choose a subcategory

Select the beginning and end dates of the desired period

1809
2017

See the results

Art Public

Ville de Montréal

Sort
{"title":"Bureau d'Art Public - Ville de Montr\u00e9al | Temps d'heures","thisUrl":"https:\/\/artpublic.ville.montreal.qc.ca\/en\/oeuvre\/temps-dheures\/","body_class":"blog artpublic adapt jsonStored single-artwork query-off ap-no-toolbar","query_hud":null,"alternate_url":"https:\/\/artpublic.ville.montreal.qc.ca\/oeuvre\/temps-dheures\/"}
Share
Share
Claude Lamarche

Temps d'heures

1987
Presentation of the artwork
This sculptural grouping is situated in the area in front of maison de la culture Claude-Léveillée on either side of a footpath leading to the building. The artwork consists of a pryamid made of concrete layers linked by a cable to a triangular steel wall. For the artist, the pryamid symbolizes “the agoras in ancient public squares” (presentation portfolio, 1986). The cable that links the two elements, under tension, seems to dissect the upper corner of the steel plate. This arrangement, amplified when night falls by a lighting system, reveals a black-and-yellow isosceles triangle that is reminiscent of a traffic sign and contrasts with the raw finish of the materials used. Also highlighted by illumination, a small half-open gate makes it possible to pass through the steel structure. This playful element invites people to interact with the artwork. The resulting blurring of scale, given the small size of the door, is a recurrent aspect of Lamarche’s sculptural practice.
Associated events
This work was commissioned through competition in 1986, at the time of the acquisition by the Société d’habitation et de développement de Montréal of the former Centenaire de la Paix school, which became Centre Jean-Marie-Gauvreau. The artwork was produced under the Québec government’s Politique d’intégration des arts à l’architecture et à l’environnement when the building was renovated to become a home to arts and cultural organizations.
Claude Lamarche
Multidisciplinary artist Claude Lamarche has been active in Quebec and internationally for more than three decades. He is known for having co-founded the experimental-art studio INTER X SECTION in Montreal in the late 1970s, and for having participated in numerous art-performance and sculpture events, including the Symposium international de sculpture environnementale de Chicoutimi in 1980, Les Cent jours d’art contemporain du CIAC in 1986, and the first Festival international d’art-performance de Porto in Portugal.
Awards and honours
  • Mention du public pour le film documentaire de la performance SPLASH, Festival International des films dur l'art (FIFA), 1981
Detail
Category
Fine Arts
Subcategory
Installation
Collection name
Integration with architecture
Date completed
1987
Mode of acquisition:
Accession date
July 11 1986
Technique(s)
Assembled; cut out; painted
Materials
Concrete; Corten steel; steel, paint
General dimensions
540 x 1020 x 303 cm
Manufacturer
  • Boudreau, Serge / Les Aciers Formatech
Temps d'heures
Borough
Villeray–Saint-Michel–Parc-Extension
Building
Centre Jean-Marie Gauvreau
Civic address
911, rue Jean-Talon Est, Montréal, H2R 1V5